|City Summer Concert Series finale set for Aug. 18|
|Friday, 18 May 2012 08:39|
The Atlantic City Summer Concert Series at Gardner’s Basin concludes on Aug. 18 with performances by headliners Cameo and Enchantment.
This five-show series is co-sponsored by the City of Atlantic City and Atlantic City Free Public Library, and funded in part by the Casino Reinvestment Development Authority. The opening acts begin at 1 p.m. Headliners take over at 4 p.m. and play until dusk. The concerts are free and open to the public.
It was hard to turn on a radio in the mid-to-late 1980s without hearing the hit single “Word Up!” from Cameo, an outlandish group with a hard-driving funk sound. The single came from the “Word Up!” album, which reached No. 8 on the Billboard 200. Just one year after putting out “Gloria” and “Sunshine” – both of which were top five songs on the R&B chart – Enchantment’s single “It’s You That I Need” soared to No. 1 in 1978.
B.A.D., Coolist & Maceo Mobley, Special Occasion, and Angela Burton and Passion, open the show. DJ Maurice “The Voice” Watts from 90.3 FM in New York is the emcee.
The Atlantic City Summer Concert Series schedule is:
• Saturday, June 2 – Third World, Evelyn “Champagne” King and Harold Melvin’s Blue Notes headline the show. Sensa Motion Band, Bob Sterling and Jackie Greggs open the show.
• Saturday, June 23 – Tavares, Con Funk Shun and Kool Moe Dee headline the show. Eddie Morgan Rek’d 4 Jazz, The Emperors and Essence Pittman open the show.
• Saturday, July 21 – WAR and the Chi-Lites headline the show. Rick Cason Express, Mark Big & Tasty Baxter, and Judah Dorrington open the show.
• Saturday, Aug. 4 – 2012 Gospel Fest featuring Kurt Carr and The Kurt Carr Singers. The John Howard Gospel Caravan and local choirs will open the show.
• Saturday, Aug. 18 – Cameo and Enchantment headline the show. B.A.D., Coolist & Maceo Mobley, Special Occasion, and Angela Burton and Passion, open the show.
The schedule is subject to change. The rain date for postponed shows will be Sunday of that same weekend.
Historic Gardner’s Basin is located at New Hampshire Avenue and the bay in Atlantic City. For more information, call the City of Atlantic City’s Recreation/Community Affairs Department at (609) 347-5643.
|Last Updated on Monday, 10 September 2012 15:39|