Anthony Panico Atlantic City High School Collection
Collection Number: H053
Extent: 0.10 cu. ft.
Repository: Alfred M. Heston Collection, Atlantic City Free Public Library, 1 North Tennessee Avenue, Atlantic City, NJ 08401, (609) 345-2269.
Preferred Citation: Anthony Panico Atlantic City High School Collection, Alfred M. Heston Collection, Atlantic City Free Public Library.
Anthony Panico was a science teacher and department head at Atlantic City High School for 25 years. Of his work, Panico said, "Working with the staff and students has been a constant source of satisfaction, and I have the privilege of being able to serve as the chairman [of the Science Department]. The department is well known throughout the state and has an excellent reputation. It is my hope that eventually we will have a new building with improved and enlarged science facilities, thereby allowing us to even further improve our science offerings to the community." He retired in the early 1990s.
The Atlantic City High School in which Panico taught his students was constructed in 1921 at Albany and Atlantic Avenues. It welcomed students from 1923 to 1994, and as originally constructed, included 15 science rooms. The building was demolished in 1999.
Atlantic City High School, Herald, 1983.
In-Depth Information about the collection
Scope and Content:
This collection includes booklets, brochures, manuals, and other paper materials related to Atlantic City School District and teaching in the school system. Also included is a 1926 floor plan of the classrooms at Atlantic City High School.
System of Arrangement:
The order of this collection was imposed during processing by the archivist. An item list is included in the last section of this finding aid.
Other Information for Users of the Collection
Atlantic City (N.J.) - Schools.
High schools - New Jersey - History.
The Heston Collection holds other materials related to the subjects in this collection. Some of these materials include the following:
- Atlantic City High School, Herald, 1902-present (incomplete).
- Atlantic City High School, Student Handbook, 1996-1997.
- Atlantic City Schools: A Historic Overview, Context and Survey.
- Course of Study: Public Schools of Atlantic City, N.J., 1897.
- The Annual Report of the Public Schools of Atlantic City, 1930-1959 (incomplete).
- Report: Board of Education, Atlantic City, N.J., 1902-1931 (incomplete).
Vertical subject files related to this topic are:
Schools - Atlantic City High School (subject file)
Schools - Public Schools General (subject file)
Processing Note: The collection is processed. Finding aid written by Heather Halpin, archivist, June 2007.
Copyright Notice: While the Atlantic City Free Public Library owns the collection, the Library may not own the copyright for all of the items. Researchers wishing to reproduce materials are responsible for obtaining the proper permissions.
- Atlantic City High School Bulletin 1923-1924.
- (2) Atlantic City High School Teacher's Manual 1924, 1926-1927.
- "The Role of the High School Department Chairman." 1960-1961.
- (2) Atlantic City Public School Bulletin School Directory. September 1969, September 1989.
- Atlantic City Public Schools employees. Perfect Attendance. 1990-1991
- (5) Atlantic City Public Schools. "Vocational and Adult Education". Registration pamphlets and correspondence. 1963-1964, 1964-1965, 1965-1966, 1966-1967, 1967-1968.
- Atlantic City Public Schools. "Supervisory Action Plan." 1990.
- Atlantic City High School Student/Parent Guidebook. 1991-1992.
- Atlantic City High School stationery. Letterhead and envelopes.
- Atlantic City High School. Board of Education: Atlantic City, 1927.
- "A.C. High School Drawing Dept. R.R. Bell." Blueprint of classrooms in old Atlantic City High School.
Finding aid published 22 June 2007.